More Basketball and a Meeting
March 20, 2006
As I predicted in this space on Friday morning, my bracket crashed and burned spectacularly. I followed up my 14-2 Thursday with a 6-10 Friday, and of the 6 I picked correctly, 3 were a 1 seed beating a 16 seed. So really, you could call my record 3-10 on games that were questionable. It's perhaps the most unimpressive day one can have when picking basketball results.
As of now, I'm firmly lodged in second-to-last place in our pool. But, I seem to be the only one who picked Memphis to win, so if they go all the way, I can still come home with the cash. They have some college called Bradley up in the next round, and they have looked as strong as anyone so far. I like their odds as much as anyone else's.
I just made the travel reservations for an upcoming work trip, and as I was doing it, I realized that I'm going to get to Indianapolis the night of the championship game. If the one in a million scenario played out where LSU was in the game, I would be forced to spend whatever it would cost to get a ticket. Hopefully, the matchup would end up being LSU vs. Bradley, so ticket demand wouldn't be that great.
That won't happen, but I'll at least have a chance to drive down and witness the hoopla before the game, and maybe I'll catch it at a sports bar near the stadium. If any of you know Indianapolis at all, shoot me a pointer or two.
Things I should have done today, but couldn't because clients are in town for a meeting:
- Pick up replacement contact lenses.
- Get a haircut.
- Return the keg in the back of my Jeep. (St. Patrick's Day. And yes, there were a couple of splashes left, but it was pretty much drained.)
- Buy gas.
- Get new shoes for playing basketball. (Right now, my ankles and knees kill me the day after we play.)
- Figure out why my home page is displaying with big, giant fonts.
- About a million other work related things. (Funny how far down the list I got before this item.)
- Clean out my shop.
- Organize my closet.
- Increase child literacy in my community.
- Start a program to clean litter off of state highways.
- Arrange a new political party so that we aren't just stuck with Democrats and Republicans when trying to pick our next president.
- Convince Osama Bin Laden to give himself up.
- Build a device that turns all nuclear weapons into beds of beautiful flowers.
But I had that meeting, so I'll have to do all of this some other time.